Recently one of my top clients gave me a heads up about a drink that’s got fitness-minded people pretty excited: The NorCal Margarita
Easy, Relatively Healthy…or should I say the least of many evils
- 2–3 shots of 100% agave tequila – we pick Avion
- Juice and pulp from one lime
- Shake it all up with some ice or blend it with ice
- Add soda water to taste
What makes this a sensible drink for fitness minded people?
- Tequila is fermented agave juice, which makes it gluten – or and starch-free. Gluten, as nutrition experts know, is a gut irritant and just generally bad stuff, and starches are way too dense with unnecessary carbs.
- Lime juice blunts the insulin response of the alcohol, maintaining your precious and hard-earned insulin sensitivity.
- The lime juice also provides a net alkaline load when it enters the blood stream, which is a very good thing. Many other foods provide a net acid load, it’s important to balance that out.
- The carbon dioxide bubbles in the soda water help get the ethanol into your blood quickly. This allows you to drink a bit less for the same effect.
Avion 100% Agave Tequila will be featured at our upcoming Boot Camp Victory Party
When people think of a “healthy alcoholic drink” or a a low calorie cocktail, as if there were such a thing, they often think of the good old vodka-cran or some other vodka drink. Well, vodka is made from potatoes so you’re still drinking a starchy drink. Then there’s the low-carb beer craze. Who’s next to come out with a super low-carb, low calorie Zero Taste beer? Real beer drinkers don’t really like this stuff because it lacks flavor, after all that’s the reason for ordering a beer right? So you can taste it and enjoy it. A couple of my top clients brew their own beer and I’d be willing to bet my career on the fact that they’ve never tried to create a low carb, low calorie beer. So if you like a good beer once in a while go for it on your cheat day. If, on the other hand, you’re searching for the most sensible mixed drink vodka-cran should be a second choice to the NorCal Margarita. Drink responsibly.
Dare to Compare – Calorie Count
- 5 oz. – Wine – Red or White – around 120 calories
- 12 oz. – Beer – 150 calories (avg) some low carb beers boast 60 calories or less
- 12 oz. – Coolers: 220 calories
- 12 oz. – Whiskey: 96 calories for 1.5 shots
- 12 oz. – Tequilla: 96 calories for 1.5 shots